20 August, 2014

Swiss Baskets, The Reveal!

Swiss Baskets ~ 53" X 53"
This quilt, begun in 1999 and finished this week is, at long last, completely complete (see previous  post)! I based the design of this one on a pattern  "Aunt Boppy's Baskets" from the book The Joy Of Quilting (© 1995) by Joan Hanson and Mary Hickey. I was inspired by that pattern which incorporated antique lace doilies into the baskets and wanted to create a similar effect using handkerchiefs collected while living in Switzerland.  Using a method known as "channel (reverse) applique" I added the lettering to spell out Switzerland in the three languages I heard on a daily basis while calling that country home for three years.  I have recently acquired a box full of handmade, antique doilies and may make another, similar, wallhanging... hopefully in less than fifteen years! The two photos below depict the quilting in more detail, show the dimension of the baskets and represent the quilt's colors much more accurately. 

Life is Good!


10 comments:

quiltkeemosabe said...

It's beautiful! Great job!

Janet O. said...

Wonderful idea--and it turned out just beautiful!
You have done a great job on the quilting, too. What more can I say? It's lovely!

Paula, the quilter said...

I, too, like to add words to quilts. It helps to tell the story, I think.

NanaNor's said...

Beautiful design and incredible work-what a treasure.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations on this finish!

AnnieO said...

Your custom quilting pours even more love into this quilt. Beautiful!

Gloria said...

It is beautiful! Wonderful quilting.

Gloria
gyates625@bellsouth.net

Unknown said...

I like the quilting in the white space behind the baskets. Very nice

LuAnn said...

What a cute quilt and great idea for using those hankies. I just packed a box away the other day thinking that I'd find a use for them, and I love the idea.

Carrie P. said...

that is the sweetest little quilt ever!