13 December, 2014

Four Words...

... that strike fear; straight to my heart: "can you hem these"? Sigh. Of course, I say "yes".  And yet, as far as I am concerned, these four words compose the scariest question I know. "Why?" you may ask. They are men's dress slacks, and they're cuffed. That seems like reason enough. A few weeks back my son and his family were here after church, that's when the fear-inspiring question was posed. My son stood on an elevated surface and I pinned the hems to the proper length... and hung them in the closet... where they remained... until yesterday. I took them out, picked up the scissors, drew a deep breath, and set the scissors back down. I repeated this three times. Then, I took an even deeper breath and went to work. They were done, to pinned specifications, in less than an hour. I delivered them to my daughter-in-law yesterday afternoon. I pray they're okay, please join me in that prayer. Again, you may wonder why this is such a daunting task; that fact that they're cuffed dress slacks might not be enough of an explanation for you. Yes, there's another reason: way back when, maybe 25 years ago, I set to work hemming a pair of dress slacks for my son. I pinned one leg, I cut it off, I hemmed it, and did it again... unfortuntely to the same leg! Yep, it's true. Now you know. I guarantee that did not happen this time!

Life is Good!

This week's Advent word is love...this post may seem unrelated; it's not, I love my son.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You're very brave. I'm not sure I would have hemmed any more pants - ever!!!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

You're braver than I am. I will repair seams but hate doing any other alterations/garment sewing.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am SO glad you posted this -- hemming pants is something I DREAD, for the very reason you mentioned at the end of your post! Sigh . . .

cityquilter grace said...

ROFL....any quilter would feel the same...even without the prior history...

Sherrill said...

Oh yeah, I've always said I'm a quilter not a sewer and hems and buttons involve sewing! LOL

jirons42 said...

Once when I was hemming a pair of pants for my son, I accidently cut a hole in the knee. He's never asked me to hem another pair. Maybe that's a good thing!

Millie said...

I know HOW, but I don't do it. I have a tailor friend do all my alterations. I commend you.

Gari in AL said...

You are so nice. I "just say no" and point to the dry cleaner who has a great garment repair person.

Jean said...

You sweetie.... I understand... never quite done that.... but well there is always a first time right? Look what you have learned! You are sooo aware of that happening... that you will probably never do it again!
I had to alter a wedding dress (an $800 dress) which was expensive back in the early 90's. I took it in she had her wedding pictures taken and then after she lost about 15 more pounds so I did it again. I made some great money for it, but my dear hubby was scared one of the kids was going to do something to this dress... we have 4. Everything turned out alright, but he did have me check to see if our insurance would cover any "accidents" to it! lol.... live and learn.... hmmm.