24 July, 2015

Changing My Mind

I can't stand to be left out... even when it's been by my own design, I didn't have the time to start the Summer Sampler sew-along from Temecula Quilt Company this time. I had done the Alphabet Sampler last fall and enjoyed it, but I just didn't need to start one more project. Quiltkeemosabe showed me her 4" blocks on Wednesday when I was at her house, hers were wonderful. I was still resistant, but wearing down. On the drive back home I kept thinking about those cute little blocks. My mother had bestowed upon me her leftover black and white scraps from a recently finished quilt. "I wonder"... I thought, "how would those blocks look in all black prints with a controlled background fabric"?  You can see for yourself. I've finished week #1. I'm late to this party (they're already on week #7) but the blocks are small and I am eager, I'll catch up. I believe I'll set mine alternately with the flax linen blend shown behind the blocks, this looks classy to me. Do you ever decide that you're too busy to participate in "this", "that" or "the other thing" and then wish later that you could have joined in the fun? I do it all the time. I've tried to learn to loosen up a little and refocus, I know that if I don't I'll miss out on a lot. Like all this cuteness!

I've been saving all of my own leftover scraps from past projects into a designated laundry-sized basket for a few years. I had intended to take a day each month to press them and cut them into usable sizes. These scraps were (in my estimation) too small to shelve but too large to toss. The appointed "cutting days" never quite made it to my calendar and the days filled up with other activities... however, that basket filled up too. This week I dragged it out and sighed, the idea of spending time and energy on these scraps was daunting and, frankly, a little draining. I wanted to change my mind about ever holding onto them in the first place but somehow I felt committed to seeing the task through. My husband walked through the room while I was deliberating this decision. He asked me why I felt obligated to a basketful of scraps, I really couldn't answer. "Throw them out", he advised, "and don't look back, it's not like you're going to run out of fabric anytime soon".  I took his advice, the scraps went straight to the trash can (he volunteered to do it for me, I didn't have the heart). He was right, I was liberated from something I thought I ought to do and am rejoicing once again after having changed my mind! Lesson learned, I'm not going to beat myself up over altering courses either, I'm blessed that I have that prerogative.

And sew, here I go... 
(quite contentedly using someone else's scraps!)
Life is Good!

12 comments:

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Aaargh! Those scraps are gone for ever and I didn't get a chance at 'em!!!! A couple of months ago at Guild one of our members brought in six or eight great big ziplock bags full of scraps. I looked them over and one was particularly enticing and when the numbers were drawn, I was able to snag that bag. My current project is happening from some of my scraps, some scrap bags I bought from Glorious Color and these wonderful scraps of Pat's. I was just yesterday saying to a friend, "I don't know that I'll buy yardage again. I'm having too much fun with other people's scraps!" Said friend makes wonderful quilts; I'd LOVE to have HER scraps. How funny you would post this today -- I can just picture YOUR tub of scraps, out by the curb, and me way up here drooling over them! Oh, I think I'd best hurry right downstairs and make a couple of scrappy blocks . . . .

Ramona said...

Oh... I am feeling the same way about my scraps! I have a black trash bag full and just don't want to take the time to press and cut them into usable pieces. I might have to just take the bag out with the trash. It would be a load off of my mind! Thank you!! :)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Let it go . . . let it go . . .

cityquilter grace said...

love your little blocks...i'm doing mine in reds/golds with a nice civil war blue print for sashing/background....they ARE fun! too bad about the scraps....i would have felt too guilty...somebody would have been glad to have them...

Linda said...

I just threw away three bags of old household items that I have not used in years and that no one else would ever want. Why I ever kept them around is a mystery. Love your little blocks.

45th Parallel Quilter said...

A fairly large group of us (through my guild and other quilty friends) have been doing the Temecula Quilt-A-Long since it started. As you said ... 4" blocks are small and fun ... keeping up with them is not difficult because you get 3 or 4 new ones a week and occasionally a bonus block. I've used only scraps and a neutral background. This is my summer "vacation" project and I have been enjoying it immensely. The "problem" with scraps is that you start to keep them because a piece of fabric is just too big to throw away and then it becomes how small is too small and before you know it you are in the "bins" up to your neck! I have the same separation problem as you do ... perhaps there is a 12 Step program for that! Welcome to the Temecula Quilt-A-Long ... LOVE your choice of fabrics, too! Linda

quiltkeemosabe said...

Mr. Goodneedle is NEVER allowed in my sewing room.......

LizA. said...

I'm with quiltkeemosabe! I have more than one basket of scraps that I just need to spend some time with and no, I'm not going to part with them. Good for you but not for me. Love these black and white blocks.

Jeanne said...

Yeah! Your first row of blocks are wonderful. You'll catch up in no time!

Janet O. said...

Your scraps to do with as you please. I struggle to throw mine away if I tire of them. Funny how you now are sewing with your Mom's scraps. Love your little blocks. Great color choices.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You are absolutely right - we shouldn't let our things and expectations drain us. Some people like making scrap quilts, but not everyone does, and they do take up a lot more time to press, cut, etc. I would have a hard time parting with them, but I am glad you were able to. Maybe giving them to someone who could use them would allow me to let them go.

jude's page said...

I think I would have trouble tossing them, and I have boxes waiting to be sorted. Like you, it was to be an ongoing project, but other things became a priority. I have plans to make only scrap quilts, when I have completed my WIP's, one day.....