22 July, 2015

Charms Of A Different Variety

I've been sharing charms lately, fabric charms; today I'm sharing charms of a different variety: have a look at these treasured silver charms. My sweet mother-in-law has been going through her jewelry and giving pieces away. Our daughter had expressed an interest in this charm bracelet of her grandmother's; she remembered wearing it many years ago when she would stay after Sunday dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's house to play dress-up. Grandma would let her wear some of her special jewelry and she'd dress up in layers of Grandma's tops and scarves, she was, maybe three or four years old. Marcia remembered that Grandma told her: "someday, when you're grown up, that bracelet will be yours".  Grandma remembered that too, she gave it us a few weeks ago to deliver to our daughter in the Capital City. The story behind the bracelet is that my mother in law wore it when she was in high school; in the late 1930's to 1940. The heart charms were all gifts from friends and family, most of them are engraved with names or initials. Look carefully at the puffed heart in the center of the close-up, "Daddy" is engraved there. I never knew my husband's grandfather, but this touched my heart. There is also a charm from "Mother" as well as one from my father-in-law when he was but a teen too, so many memories... so much love.
I polished it up as best as I could before giving it to our daughter. Some of the enamel-faced hearts were already worn, I believe that only adds to the value. I know that our daughter will cherish this gift, as she does the precious relationship with her grandmother. The best part of the transfer of ownership of this bracelet is this: Grandma knows that the love goes on... from one generation to the next, to the next... this pretty bracelet full of hearts is only a symbol; someday our daughter can pass it down too, the bracelet is now a family heirloom. 
My heart is smiling.
Life is Good!

7 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

What a lovely story to accompany a lovely bracelet. I have both my mother's charm bracelet and my own. When I wear them I really make a lot of noise.

Janet O. said...

Such a treasure to pass down. Love the story behind it!

Faye said...

What a sweet story..... I KNOW your daughter will wear this cherished with honor and smile when she looks at each of those meaningful charms,.... Just knowing that each was a special purchase or from a special person, really adds to the sentiment...... Nice story ~

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wonderful on every level. What a treasure!

cityquilter grace said...

the real heirloom is the relationship she has with her grandmother....i have a few items that belonged to my grandmother and though of little monetary value, they are so precious to me....my grandmother has been gone 38 years....

45th Parallel Quilter said...

Beautiful bracelet; beautiful gesture ... how nice to do it while she's still here to see and enjoy it as well. Wonderful story ... thanks for sharing! Linda

Sandy said...

A gift filled with love and given with love!